- First off, we must wrap our minds around the true meaning of the word ‘diet.’ Your diet is whatever you eat, be it healthy or not. Somehow the word diet has come to mean ‘an eating plan that we take on for a short period of time then ditch as soon as we have achieved a certain result (or give up because we are not getting results).’ According to the dictionary diet is “the kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats.” That’s it. So when you adopt a clean eating diet or food plan, it is expected to be a habit, a lifestyle that continues every day in order to see the results you are expecting.
- The first few days after ditching processed food will be rough. Depending on the current status of your diet, you may actually suffer some withdrawal symptoms as you throw out the processed goods in favor of whole foods including lots of fruits and vegetables. We talk so much about how good you will feel once you begin to nourish your body, but in truth this will take a little bit of time. For a couple days your brain will likely tell you that you need sugar and transfat to feel good, but if you can just get through a few days you will ACTUALLY start FEELING GOOD instead of constantly feeling like you just need another cookie to feel satisfied (because it’s never enough).
- Processed food manufacturers have spent years working on recipes to keep you coming back for more. The more you eat the more you want. No wonder it’s so hard to give up these convenience foods. For more information on how you’re hooked check out this blog from December http://www.bebrightfitness.com/1/post/2013/12/addicted-to-sugar-its-probably-not-your-fault.html
Here is the BRIGHT side (pun intended!): If you can just get through 3-5 days of clean eating, following a plan like the Bright Fitness Nutrition Countdown, you will notice the following:
- Reduced or eliminated sugar cravings
- Less bloating and likely 2-3 lbs of weight loss
- Increased energy that stays constant throughout the day
Ultimately, you will reach a healthy body weight that you can maintain. You will have the energy you need to keep up with your busy schedule. Your skin will glow and you will feel good inside and out!