All too often, it seems that people want to lose weight in order to feel good about themselves. They think that if they can just fit a certain size or see a certain number on the scale that they will be worth more. Just the opposite is true. A health and wellness journey can truly begin when you realize that you are making changes BECAUSE you are already worth it, not because you want to be worth something.
As Sarah from Bright Fitness so eloquently put it, ‘Exercise is not about fixing the body you hate. It is about taking care of the body you love.’ These words ring so true, and yet what do you see when you look in the mirror? Do you pick apart every flaw? Focus on the things you wish could change?
Possibly easier said than done, but changing what you see in the mirror is equally, if not more important, than changing your physical body. To truly have success in health, what your mind is telling you can make or break your efforts. You can control this. Here are some tips that you can do right now:
- Every time you look in the mirror say at least 1 positive thing about yourself. You might feel silly, but if you do it every time it will start to not only be true, but feel true. Aim for a minimum of 3 positive attributes per day.
- When you wake up in the morning, make your first thought something you are grateful for. Whether it’s your family, the roof over your head, your job, anything and everything that you feel thankful for, let that be the first thing on your mind.
- Compliment someone every day. Get outside your walls of insecurity and focus on the positive in the people around you.
- Surround yourself with people who support you. This is not to say that your self-worth should be dependent on what anyone else thinks, but having a support system, people you can truly confide in and count on, will keep you going even on your hardest days.
- Smile. At the mirror, at your neighbor, at your children. Research has shown that just the act of smiling, even a forced one, can release endorphins and chemicals that will actually make you feel better!